Monday 11 March 2019

Another Year, Fresh Goals.

It's been a fair while since my last blog, as life has been busier than usual (if that was even possible!).  It was hard for me to get back up into the mountains after the 100, mostly to do with 'real-life' kicking in and also the Welsh winter coming about.  I dedicated a huge amount of time to prepare for the Snowdon Ultra, and I think I held quite a lot of things at bay whilst training.  It was inevitable that once the race was ran, all would come crashing back in, ten-fold.


Running became quite sporadic, with sometimes 10 miles a week, other times 30.  Also - distances where all over the place. My longest run a month after the ultra was 18 miles, although that was a complete mistake.  I miscalculated the distance by 80% (how!?).  I kept the distances low after this, as on that run, I felt really weak mentally.  I remember being at mile 10, and realising that I had another 8 miles to run.  I could just about manage it, as I had a major wall that I just could not shake off until the final mile.  When your surrounded by mountains, and the only way back to the car is to move, that is not a great place to be.

Up above once again, on a dawn run.  Foel Grach with Tom.  Photo.  Tommy Belle Hughes

I took it easy for a month or so after this building up again to 22 miles in the hills, as I needed the time in my head to think about what I was doing now.  You read a lot about people that have ran a major ultra, and then fallen off the radar.  I was concerned that I might fall into that bracket.  The 100 had been such a focus that now it was done, would I still have the drive and the focus to enjoy not only the easy sunny days out, but also the hard work days - the sessions that leave you drained and cold.  It was quite a question, and I thought about that a lot.  As it happens, it was just a case of needing time - this was my first 100 miler, and a brutal one at that.  I wasn't really aware of how much it would take out of me, although all good things come back around in time.

The Wall.  Not feeling it towards Crimpiau, 10 miles in.  Only 8 miles out on my guesstimation.  Ouch!
To get things back on track (no pun intended!), I figured the best port of call was to focus on new challenges, which is what I have always done really, in all aspects of my life.  I began by entering the premier 100 mile 'Beacons Way Ultra', and also the 2nd edition of the Snowdon Ultra 100 (like, why not right?).  It just felt like the right time for me to get running and training again.  The Snowdon Ultra should be awesome this year, and I'm planning on running this with my partner in crime, Tommy, who paced me last season.  We are also running the Welsh 1000's, GB24 and I'm also thinking about the UTS 50 (just for the training)..

Its always helpful for my motivation to have a date in the calendar, as without this, it's just to easy to meander on aimlessly.  The GB races now have ITRA points attached to them, and my aim for 2020 is to try and get through the ballot to run the iconic UTMB.  Between the 100's I should get 12 points, so I'll need another 50 miler during the summer somewhere.  The UTS has 4 points attached to that, so this could be the one.  I'd also love to run the Lavaredo Trail, but we will see (wallet and all that!).  I just really feel that I need to get more experience under my belt in organised, although unmarked Ultra events, so that I can plan some of my own solo adventures overseas, for 2021.  That's the attraction for me.

A beauty of a hidden old trail, right on the stomping ground.  A mini-adventure of about ten minutes or so, but magical despite the limited duration.
Mileage is now being ramped up slowly using the schedule below.  The shorter miles are mostly road  and short (steep) fell, with the longer (10 plus) being mountain and forest based. Its massively important to replicate the terrain as close as is possible (running the course sections over and over,if you have access).  Again, this time of year, the forestry here in North Wales is so handy as its more accessible in bad weather, and you can get good running miles in, as well as some good gain.

Back on it, shortly before a grinding turn to the ankle two weeks ago.  Always good when your a fair hobble away from the vehicle.

Nothing beats the actual mountains though, and it's beginning to feel like they are opening up again once more.  With some good steep runs in this week (especially today's Carneddau jog at 14 miles with a good amount of altitude gain) it is all falling in to place and I'm slowly feeling stronger, and also getting faster in the mountain ranges.

Tommy leading the way.  Lovely weather jogging up along Llyn Bochlwyd.  Come on Sunshine!

So, I guess watch this space.  Along with the official events, I have a few plans for some awesome solo ultra challenges.  Tom has also cooked up some 50+ mile craziness with over 16000 ft of gain, which should come about towards the end of the spring.  I keep looking at the map of the route, and shudder each time - I already know how it is going to feel - I can already sense the Doom that will show its face here and there I'm sure!

Onward and upwards, 'Run Steep, Run Steeper' is this years moto.

*footnote:  So I totally fucked my ankle two weeks ago (I wrote this two weeks ago and forgot to publish!).  I'm back running, although have missed two weeks training and am stuck on the roads and forestry for another three week, until I get back to full straighten.  I've a 26 miler planned for the weekend, but will have to stay in the valleys and the woods.  We'll see how that goes!

Dawn speed walking, hoping to heal rapidly!  Nearly there now - another three weeks.


Thanks to New Balance, Patagonia and Ombraz Sunglasses for the support.










No comments:

Post a Comment