Monday 2 July 2018

Solo 46.

So, I figured that if I couldn't run 50 miles solo by now, then I had no place aiming to run 100 in similar terrain in September.  With just 10 weeks of training left to go, it was time to test the metal.

I plotted the route out, which follows (pretty much) the last 50 miles of the GB Snowdonia Ultra, although attempting to be kind to myself I left out the final climb up Heather Terrace, which runs up and along side of Tryfan, Ogwen Valley.  My maping/route plan told me 49.84, and I figured that would be just about on the money.

I'd been stressing about the run all week, although I think that this was to do with a very busy work schedule, trying to be at home with the family, money worries etc. It all has an impact when your preparing for quite a physical and mental challenge, so I wasn't really in the best head space to be honest.  I kept thinking about the 9000ft of gain, the heat, the darkness in the forests with such an early start.  After getting through a pile of admin and seeing the kids off (thanks Ellie for arranging a sleep over for them!), I could finally concentrate on the task in hand.  Turning off the laptop, locking away thoughts of general life, i began sorting through and arranging my kit for the day.

A few hours later, I was eating my pre-run food, having a brew and reading before getting a few hours sleep (I'm currently reading 'North' by Scott Jurek - amazing!).  I always enjoy waking up at the place where I run from, so another car camp  and 4 hours sleep later, I was brewing coffee at 3am, on the edge of the Gwydir Forest.  Funnily enough, I slept solidly and woke up totally calm and ready.  Breakfast eaten, coffee chugged, it was time to head off into the woods and up onto the mountain tops.

I absolutely love starting a long run at this time of day. Getting out into the mountains, without a soul in sight - it's like the world has been put on hold for you, like you have been personally granted the chance once again to escape the masses, uninterrupted.   I always feel, that if I see the someone else to soon on, I have missed the boat and I've started my day to late on.

Waking up on the fringe of the Gwydir

Breakfast of Champions
I felt incredible that morning.  To ensure that I felt top form, I'd tapered as i had done for the Welsh 1000's, so with fresh legs after 102,000ft of training gain over the last three months, I knew I was up to the job.  The miles from Betws to Trefiw, up, down and along Llyn Cowlyd, before heading back to Capel Curig, and into the Ogwen just flew.  The power hike up Pen y Ole Wen was steep as it usual, but felt much less arduous.  Continuing through to Carnedd Gwenllian via Dafydd and Llewelyn was incredible.  i had such a hard time here maybe two months ago (both physically and mentally) whilst running the 15 Peaks, it was such a huge relief that this felt so good, and such a confidence builder.  You hit mile 26 pretty much around the peak of Berw Bach, on the decent down to Bethesda.  What a milestone, as you can look right back to where you have come from here, and also you can see the next huge leg of the journey ahead.

Stopping at the peak of Berw Bach for a bit, I remember having being asked 'what do you think about?'.  To be honest, I have no idea.  Thoughts come and go, you focus on your breath, your feet falling, moving forward and staying in the moment.  Time just comes and goes, as do the miles.  I like the simplicity.

Looking back over the last 26 miles.  Stunning.

Knowing that the climbing for the most part is done here was a boost. As I ascended down in to Bethesda to begin the run back into the Ogwen, the heat decided to turn itself up.  I had been going so well, with the first 28 miles in the bag within 6 hours, that I assumed this would be done under 11.  No such luck.  I was running in pretty much 28 degree heat, with no shade, which slowed things quite considerably.  making to Ogwen Cottage at mile 31 was a huge relief!  My dad had rocked up in the form on an aid station, so food and cold coca-cola was heavenly.  Unfortunately I puntered the intake, and ended up with 5 miles of heartburn (I actually convinced myself I was having a heart attack here, although realised that its probably quite difficult to move for 5 miles with that going on!).  Without my dad doing this, it would have been such a long time to go without any support - big ups man!

Again, due to the heat, and blowing the nutrition (so much to learn about nutrition!), the last few miles where so much slower with walk/run strategy to combat the sun, and the dry heaving.  I stopped to chat for a while with a couple of local ultra-runners, who mentioned that they where doing the Porthmadog-Conwy 50 Race the following week.  It was good to get my chain of thought broken up, and to have only my second conversation of the day was really nice.  It's also good to know that not everyone is looking at you like you are crazy!!  Getting to the final 3 miles through the woods was incredible, although quite hard work.  It was extremely frustrating, as my mind and legs felt in top condition, although the stomach issues where a complete hindrance.

 All in all, this took me around 12.5 hrs, and nailed 46 miles.  It's funny, as with all of my years of climbing I was never that competitive (well maybe a bit!), but with my running; if I know that i should have done better, and that a faster time was possible, I get really annoyed.  All going well, this should have been sub-11hrs.  So, I'm going to do it again in a couple of weeks, just to prove a point to myself.  Its such a beautiful run, why wouldn't you?!



No comments:

Post a Comment